Verses for Firefighters
by Dennis Kelly
September 19, 2013
When the alarm sounds, firefighters and first responders rush toward the danger. They are trained. They know generally what they are getting into. They work to stop the evil that has been released. Usually it is a normal happening. However, sometimes, I believe, there is an evil source within the incident that only the power of the Lord can overcome. For normal times and times when evil walks the site, I recommend these verses.
Psalms 66:12 (NIV): ...we went through thew fire and water, but you (God) brought us to a place of abundance.
Daniel 3:24-27 (NIV): Then King Nebuchadnezzar leaped to his feet in amazement and asked his advisers,
"Weren't there three men that we tied up and threw into the fire?"
They replied, "Certainly, Your Majesty."
25. He said, "Look, I see four men walking around in the fire, unbound and unharmed, and the fourth looks like a son of the gods."
26. Nebuchadnezzar then approached the opening of the blazing furnace and shouted, "Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, survants of the Most High God, come out! Come here!"
So Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego came out of the fire. 27. The saptraps, prefects, governors and royal advisers crowded around them. They saw that the fire had not harmed their bodies, nor was a hair of their heads singed; their robes were not scorched, and there was no smell of fire on them.
Isaiah 43:1-3 (NIV): ...Now this is what the Lord (God) says -- he who created you, Jacob, he who formed you, Israel:
Do not fear, for I have formed you; I summoned you by name; you are mine.
2. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you.
When you walk throught the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.
3. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your savior;"
Isaiah 43:1-3 (above) is one of God's promises.
Galatians 3:26-29 (NIV): ...In Christ Jesus you are all children of God, through faith. 27. For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28. There is neither Jew nor gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed and heirs according to the promise.
Romans 10:9-13 (NIV): If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. 11. As Scripture says, "Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame." 12. For there is no difference between Jew and gentile -- the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him. 13. For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."
The Lord's name is Jesus.
When you accept Jesus as your own savior and Lord, you become eligible to receive all of God's promises.
2Corinthians1:19-20 (NIV): For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, who was preached among you by us -- by me and Silas and Timothy -- was not "Yes" and "No," but in him it has always been "Yes." 20. For no matter how many promises God has made, they are "Yes" in Christ. And so through him the "Amen" is spoken by us to the glory of God.
1 Peter 4:12 (NIV): Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you.
1 Corinthians 10:13 (NIV): No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. but when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.
The 91st Psalm has been proclaimed the protection Psalm or the Soldier's Psalm. It is claimed that reading this Psalm before going into danger will protect you from all harm. I do not claim and special powers for others, but I read it often when I am going into hazardous areas -- even slightly hazardous area -- like driving a car. I personally want any protection I can get. Reading this Psalm out loud only takes a few seconds.
1. Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
2. I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust."
3. Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare and from the deadly pestilence.
4. He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge.
5. You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day,
6. nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday.
7. A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you.
8. You will only observe with your eyes and see the punishment of the wicked.
9. If you say, "The Lord is my refuge," and you make the Most High your dwelling,
10.. no harm will overtake you, no disaster will come near your tent.
11. For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways.
12. They will lift you up in their hands , so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
13. You will tread on the lion and the cobra; you will trample the great lion and the serpent.
14. "Because he loves me," says the Lord, "I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
15. He will call on me and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him.
16. With a long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation."
To any firefighter who may read this, I pray for you:
May God bless you and keep you. May his Holy Spirit guide and direct you in your work and keep you safe.